Friday, June 4, 2010

Gifted Gaiman

I am aware  that Neil Gaiman's following is such, that if I tried to claim I was his biggest fan then about 10,000 other people would protest that in actual fact they were. Neil Gaiman has penned many a story, from his "Sandman" graphic novels to picture books, young adult fiction to old adult fiction and the odd screen play thrown in for good measure. I have thoroughly enjoyed most of his stories but one of my favourites at present is Blueberry Girl, a picture book I will review here shortly, that is if you can call it reviewing.

Before I do this however, I would like to take a small amount of time to boast about how I got to meet him when he came to New Zealand for the Wellington Readers and Writers Festival. My fabulous husband booked tickets for us and we flew down to Wellington to hear him speak. I was so excited I could have spontaneously combusted. 

I discovered the joy of Gaiman's work in the school library many years ago while teaching. I stumbled across Coraline on the shelf and that was it, my Gaiman addiction was born.

My husband and I were only going down to Wellywood for the night and so packed lightly, pretty much a fresh pair of undies each, toothbrushes and a small bag crammed full of Neil Gaiman's classics that I was hoping to get signed. In the bag was Stardust (for me), Coraline (for my son, thinking about when he is older), and Blueberry Girl (for my daughter). The children were staying with Nana and so it also meant some couple time.

 The "interview" he gave with Kate de Goldi was enjoyable and entertaining, although I would have liked more opportunity for the audience to ask questions of him, not that I had one, I just thought it would have been more intriguing.




Then it was time for the book signing, the rush was MAD, it was almost as if someone had announced there was 90% off all books at Dymocks. Surprisingly, and I'm not even sure how, hubby and I managed to find ourselves near the front of the queue. We were told that he was
only signing one book per person, which was understandable considering the masses of people, so the decision was made that my son and daughter would get theirs signed.



He was a very charming man and I feel very honoured to have met such a creative talent. So with all of the showing off out of the way, let the review of Blueberry Girl begin.



Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman. 
Illustrated by Charles Vess

The reason I have said this isn't really a review is because I will be posting a clip of Gaiman reading the story and so you can make up your own mind about whether or not it appeals to you. To view it, click here.

Neil Gaiman wrote this poem for his friend, songwriter and singer Tori Amos when she discovered she was having a little girl. The sentiment behind the words is beautiful. The choice of words are powerful and there is wisdom in the advice offered. It resonated strongly with me being a grown woman and what he has written are things that I would like my baby girl to know and be aware of as she makes her own way in the world. I like the fact that it supports the views that she will hear coming out of the mouths of her parents.

Let me know if it effects you in the same way it did me. Enjoy : ).



No comments:

Post a Comment