Friday, June 25, 2010

Havoc

Havoc my children are very good at causing this in our lounge. In fact it isn't very often that I feel comfortable in inviting people over as the house is such a mess, it looks as though a medium sized toy box has exploded. Then if we move into the car, it is just the same, however in this instance it is more a case of used tissues and baby wipes used to clean up dirty fingers, and remove squashed raisins from in between seats.

I'm pleased to write though that this blog entry is actually about the next installment of the comic Malice that Chris Wooding has so cleverly scripted. Now, once again I must digress, if your school does the Scholastic Book pamphlets I would seriously recommend that you take a look at them when the kids bring them home as they are full of fabulous books at some fabulous prices. Even if you don't buy them you are up with the play on what current books are around and you can order them from the local library. There is also the Scholastic Bookshop in East Tamaki in Auckland, where they have fantastic deals, and every now and then a warehouse sale where the books are HALF PRICE!!!

I have been a fan of Chris Wooding's ever since I first read Poison a few years ago. His writing has always had a different "feel" to it from other authors. Almost as though he taps into a completely different creative outlet from the rest of us. I also get the impression that he bases his stories on his personal views and philosophies of the world. I admit to having bought a few of his books and they sit on our bookshelves waiting for the children to be of an age to enjoy them, which I hope they don't reach too quickly. Malice and shortly Havoc (once I go to Scholastic) are among them

His stories always have a few layers to them, meaning you can read as much or as little as you like into the tales he weaves. That is why he appeals to me so much I think, his books encourage me to think "outside the square" so to speak.

Havoc by Chris Wooding llustrations by Dan Chernett

Havoc is the follow up to Malice, so if your child hasn't read Malice I would strongly suggest they do before reading Havoc. It continues in the comic book world where Tall Jake reigns. This novel has portions that are written in a graphic novel style, as Malic is a comic book that children in our world desperately try to get their hands on, and once they have they complete a ritual to call "Tall Jake" to take them to Malice. The ritual is similar to the "Bloody Mary" urban myth. Once he comes to claim them there is a great chance that they will die inside the comic book.

Personally, I don't understand why this appeals to so many of the characters in the book, but it is suggested that all young people are looking for a thrill, as they believe their lives are too safe. I suppose you could say they are after the adrenalin rush that Malice promises as our world has become more about T.V and computers than real life experiences (so it suggests in Havoc).

I loved Malice and couldn't wait to get my hands on Havoc. It took me awhile to actually feel involved with the characters this time, in comparison to Malice, but now it's over I know I will miss them. It may seem weird, but Tall Jake was actually one of my favourite character's, although he was taking children to their deaths there is something in the way that he is written that makes me want to see him stick around.

The main characters Seth, Kady, Justin and Tatyana are back, and this time they have the Sgard and are on a quest to find The Queen of the Cats to help them confront and hopefully defeat Tall Jake.

It's not a story for the faint hearted, Chris Wooding's books never are. There are plenty of scary, nightmarish creatures and some deaths. So I would certainly recommend this book for mature readers, those who aren't likely to want to crawl into your bed if they wake from a nightmare about Tall Jake.

I would certainly recommend Malice and Havoc. Wooding is a very talented story teller and if you have a child who is a reluctant reader but loves gory horror movies and late night camp fire tales then this book is for them.

I couldn't wait to get to the comic book sections in the book which have been illustrated by Dan Chernett, they certainly add interest to the novel. It is very, very cleverly done. There's no word if Wooding is planning on another Malice book, but looking on the Internet there is certainly a lot of pressure from fans for him to do so, and Havoc is written in such a manner that gives him the opportunity to if he so wished.

No comments:

Post a Comment